At Haese & Wood, we think it is of utmost importance to provide media training for key product spokespersons who, in addition to selling their product, must also “tell their story” to the media. The main purpose of media training is to raise each executive’s comfort level when working with the press. The program includes understanding how journalists work, what makes them tick and where questions come from.
Regardless of how many interviews one has done, no one has ever left our media training sessions without feeling that he or she has gained tremendous experience and knowledge as a result of the session.
A full or half-day training can help you to:
- Recognize and understand interview formats and interviewer styles
- Take the lead in interview and direct it to a particular point of view
- Answer questions both quickly and succinctly, and get specific points across as a goal of the interview
- Handle crisis communications situations
- Avoid information overload in interviews
- Effectively communicate the organization’s messages in interviews with print and broadcast media
- Demonstrate and practice various interview techniques and formats, with attention to such details as body language, use of buzz words and specific mannerisms
- Develop an awareness of and sensitivity to consumer and constituency issues related to the company, particularly as viewed by the media.